Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Expectations and the failure to meet them.

"I'm normal!" I exclaimed the other day at work.
The receptionist looked up quizzically from her work and said "you say that like you are surprised"

Not surprised, just declaring....

I'm not an extravert, I'm not the life of the party (I know some of you find that surprising). I can remember being at a party with my (then) husband years ago, I found myself sitting on a couch having a quazi conversation with girls much younger than me whom I'm had never met before. At one point they both got up to go find their boyfriends, I looked around for a familiar face. I couldn't find one. Not even my husband.

I wasn't upset, just not impressed at being left in a room full of people I didn't know and didn't share an similiar intersts with.

It seemed the more I was expected to go out and have a good time, to mingle, to fend for myself...the more I pressure I felt and the more introverted I felt. I began shrinking into corners and reluctantly going out.

I have no problem sitting back and watching the happenings in a party, I'm pretty content to ease my way into meeting people. But to some unless you are dancing on the table it would appear you are not having fun.....

So in the last few years I have examined that phenomenon in my life, why the pressure to be extraverted makes me more intraverted, and I discovered.....I'm not alone.

I'm normal.

The more people I talk to the more I discover that I am not fundamently flawed (well at least not in this area....)

8 comments:

Michelle said...

That's great news!!

According to you...I'M NORMAL TOO!!

Susan Kirchmayer said...

totally understand what you mean.... i never was the life of the party either. and i was often made to feel guilty about that. you largely end up being ignored and passed by. i'm introverted. and that's ok. its who i am. sometimes i can be extroverted but not if its expected of me - its on my terms, when i feel comfortable.
so i guess i'm normal too.....

shari said...

beleive it or not, that is exactly how I am too. Some may scawf, but truly, that is exactly how I feel.

Michelle said...

SCAWF!!

Just kidding!! hehe

James Goudie said...

yeah! i'm normal too!

Greg said...

If everyone think's you have to be on the table to have fun, wouldn't that be considered normal? I'd rather be the wierd one, don't ever call me normal. The way I see it, this world is so messed up that normal doesn't seem like something to strive for. On the other hand, webster's defines wierd as "UnEarthly" Hallelujah, I'm in for that!!!

L&D said...

Oh congrats on your new realization! That's fantastic. Life of the party usually is the loud mouth but those types usually really like your type...the quiet type. They bring balance to the loud mouths. They are sweet relief from having to be a loud mouth all the time. Hmmmmmmm. I think you and I would get along great.

Miss-buggy said...

Yay for being normal!!
Believe it or not....don't laugh....I am that way too.