Friday, May 26, 2006

Why I like the Da Vinci Code...

First let me start off by saying that I have not read the book nor seen the movie and don't have any real plans to. I have no strong feelings either way about such activities and have remained pretty neutral about the subject.

Second, I think it is important to examine one's faith and understand where our beliefs lie. Many of us have been raised in the church and take most of what we hear at face value. The problem being that as we mature and are asked why we believe what we believe many of us are like a deer caught in headlights.

Which leads me to this.....
This last week I have watched several shows regarding the Da Vinci Code. First I watched Dateline as they were featuring a story about unlocking the clues behind the novel. I decided that it was worth watching 1. to see what the fuss was about and 2. to see if there really was a valuable claim to Christ producing offspring (and the big coverup that would follow)

I did not approach it from the standpoint of a Christian determined that nothing would shake her faith. But rather as a rational human examing evidence. What I watched was laughable.There was nothing, no historical proof. Only legends and myths.....
Tonight was an AE special that concluded there was no proof and one of the main storylines was made up by a modern day crazy French man who was hoping to become King.

So why do I like it?
Because it forces us to take a good look at our beliefs...the ones we hold dearly.... and ask ourselves how much truth there is in it. Because when confronted with such crazy concocted ideas I would hope we would be able to decifer fact from fiction.

I was discussing the movie with a friend who is not a christian and saying how most of it was speculation and myth and she replied "of course...it's fiction..."

It's fair to say that most rational people are alot smarter than we give them credit for.

3 comments:

Scott said...

i think that's a decent attitude to have. so many christians want to circle the wagons everytime they feel threatened. people are not as stupid as we think. perhaps this is a great opportunity for people who have not asked the question to seek to understand who jesus was; because of the hype, not in spite of it.

it's funny how christians who promoted the matrix, constantine and other movies as "outreach tools" have so condemned this opportunity. if someone uses this movie to not become a person of faith than they really are only using it as an excuse. even a peripheral examining of the evidence discredits the fundamental premises.

i read the book twice. have not seen the movie... yet

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

i found the book very gripping and interesting -- thought-provoking, but just got back from watching the movie... it made me feel icky... too many lies about jesus and the church for me to stomach. i know it's "fiction", but if someone went and made a "fictional" story about me that was all kinds of lies and misrepresentations, i think it would make me sad. i also thought the movie would be extremely hard to follow for someone who had not read the book.

on another note, still waiting to hear about your schedule carolyn...

-de

cari said...

Oh! I forgot to email - I have plans tonight - so sorry! Rain check?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts... :)