Sunday, January 14, 2007

"Congratulations!" my lawyer's secretary exclaimed over the phone "Your divorce order has come through today, and we will also need you to pay your bill".
"Um, thanks"
Later that night I sat with co-workers and friends at the Springs. Teresa paused as our food was put in front of us. She lifted her beer and said "Before we start we should raise our glasses in a toast" We all obeyed and lifted our drinks. "To...." pause "....divorce?"
I couldn't help but giggle. Really, it's not much of an occassion to toast, but I admire the thought.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the day my divorce was final. It turned out to be pretty uneventful. There weren't any tears or fond memories. Pretty much the same as every other day this year. I think I grieved for this marriage along time ago, this was just paperwork.

So if any of you know any single 30yr old men...... (kidding.....)

5 comments:

Lee said...

well, a milestone none the less. I appreciate your attitude towards it. It's refreshing. Here's to a bright and exciting future!
(and don't limit yourself to 30 year olds...)

shari said...

To new beginnnings!!!!!

Susan Kirchmayer said...

here's some unsolicitated mom advice: don't rush - it takes 1 year to heal for every four years in a relationship. and age doesn't matter, its just a number. don't limit what God can do!!!

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

ummm... i just sat in your living room for hours with rachelle, and you didn't even MENTION this? this would have called for more (and richer) ice cream!
-de

cari said...

no worries mom...definetly not in a rush. De - sorry I forgot to share that tidbit, not something I really want to discuss with the kid around :)