Monday, December 27, 2004

I used to think love was a choice...that you woke up every morning and chose to love the person next to you, even when you didn't feel like it. I'm not sure I hold that belief anymore.
I think love is irrational, I think love is that feeling that no matter how badly you have been wronged you can't stay angry. It's not a pathetic-whiny-i'll-die-if-I-can't-have-you-in-my-life feeling, it's knowing that even though you can't have that person in your life, you still forgive and respect and cherish them, even when they hurt you.
Love's not a choice, love hits you like a semi-truck, sometimes more subtle than that, like a pickup truck or a volkswagon bug, but it hits you just the same. Sometimes when you least expect it.

1 comment:

Susan Kirchmayer said...

i think love is a feeling too - but in those times when the feeling is not as strong it becomes a choice. choosing to love when you don't really feel like it - that is unconditionally love.