Sunday, December 05, 2004

Ironic

I dragged my friend Taneane to the Christmas parade on friday night. We walked down from 7th in the pouring rain. But I was determined not to miss the parade.
What did I learn from the annual fan fair? That Grabba Java now has gift cards and I that I can get a custom website designed for only $179.99. About 3 floats into the parade I looked at Taneane and said "this parade is just one big advertisement."
But I love it still.....
In between the billboards were pockets of christmas spirit. Kids in angel costumes, singing carols, lights, community spirit, worship, rock and roll. I love it all.

On the trek back up to 7th we witnessed a man trying to cross a road, apparently the oncoming car didn't take notice of his efforts and nearly hit him. The man raised his fist and screamed "Jesus Christ" and stormed off. Ironic. I thought to myself "Merry Christmas to you too".

My hope is that somewhere in all of this mayhem and excitment of Christmas people will stop and ask themselves why we do it. Why are having parades, and turkey and gifts? The man crossing the road seemed to know.

No comments: