Monday, July 04, 2005

In a movie-like world Lori would have flushed the prozac and felt liberated, all the while an inspirational athem of freedom would reverberate in the background, she would watch the pills spin and disapear and never have the desire to go back.

Too bad life isn't like the movies. Really, she watched the pills disapear and felt a little freaked. And rightly so.

I was at work tonight, feeling tired and thinking that if this were a movie I would grab my car keys and walk out the front doors while undoing the top, choking button of my uniform, jump in my car and drive. No one would realize what had happened until they started calling "Carolyn to Photos" and no one came. That inspirational music would play and I would stride out of the store in slow motion. Then it would cut to "1 yr later". And there I would be in my own studio living the dream.

Yeah, life's not like the movies. There are no consequences in movies, no worries about rent or car payments, or needing references to get a job. No day by day struggles, just a subtitled flashing on screen proclaiming "1 yr later", and all is right in the end. How you got there isn't really important.

Life rarely has inspirational background music, uncomfortable situations don't just fade into black, there aren't always happy endings, the bad guy doesn't always get what he deserves, the unpopular teen doesn't go the prom and end up as prom queen.

There is no fast-forward in life, no scene selection....... no pause button.

If only there was a pause button.......

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

With a pause button you could stop life where you're the most happy. That would be nice. :)

James Goudie said...

but would you really be experiencing life if you stop it though. I think i'd get bored if I was on pause. Nothing would be happenning. just stillness.

Sue said...

I have been pressing stop for a while now, is this why it's not working?

lori said...

frodo would prefer a paws button...

Michelle said...

Stop, pause, rewind, even fastforward would be nice sometimes. There was a show on a long time ago where a teen had the ability to stop time by a certain movement because her dad was an alien or something. All chessiness aside, I have often thought how wonderful it would be if I could just stop time, do whatever needed doing, then start again. I would never be tired, hungry, embaressed, late, ect ect. That would be so nice!!

Susan Kirchmayer said...

pressing the stop button doesn't work for me.... hasn't worked in the past.

cari said...

I SO remember that episode, at the end he stood in the street with the cars stopped and the airplanes frozen mid flight......

Good Advice!

Miss-buggy said...

I too have been trying to press the stop button. Don't want to pause. Just stop it all. Darn button is broken!!

Erin said...

I think more than a pause button, id totally go for the REWIND button. Now that would be a real seller.