Saturday, May 12, 2007

calling

I was reading Darla's blog the other day, about how she truly felt that nursing was her calling. I think it's wonderful to know where you should be and enjoy what you are doing.
The optometric field is certainly not my calling. I don't hate it. It's a good job (save for the people who feel the need to yell and make a scene in the clinic). But I can not say I am passionate about it.

One of the things I remember most about about my interview at Langara was when the interviewer asked me what career I was in now, when I told him I was an optometric assistant, he looked at me and said "oh...no...that's not the right field for you". I chuckled to myself and thought "if a perfect stranger can see that, why can't I?"

So now they've replaced me at work, if I want I can quit in as little as two weeks (don't freak out Jackie, I won't be going that soon). It's a good thing they did. It's easy to take the comfortable, safe road....which is what the clinic is to me.

Unless everything blows up in my face, we will be moving and (hopefully) renting out the trailer. Taking the scary, uncomfortable, unfamiliar, road to the unknown.

I'm a little freaked out.

But pretty darn excited.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I saw you at Walmart today and your hair looked so great...

Way to go following your passions! I think we are better moms when we are enjoying life outside of mothering too! Keep us posted!

James Goudie said...

thats cool

i think you will do great.

cari said...

really, you saw me at walmart? and you didn't say "hi"?
Good thing I was having a good hair day, what section were you in? Shoes? Bread?....

Jennie said...

It was right in the entrance, and I was going to say Hi but I was 'running' to get my stuff done...I hate Walmart on a Saturday afternoon...what was I thinking??

Michelle said...

I'm so excited for you!!