Sunday, June 26, 2005

mediocrity

I'm not scared to fail.
I've done it before.
It's not so bad.

I've heard it said that it's not so much that we are scared to fail, we are scared to succeed.
I have no problem with success.
It wouldn't be so bad.

I'm scared of mediocrity.
Being average. Middle of the road. Just good.
That would be bad.

I have dreams....big dreams.....dreams that seem that they will burst right through my chest if I don't contain them. Ideas and visions and plans. But.......

Before I even picked up my first real camera I had visions of what I wanted to produce. I finally held the camera in my hands and it was as though I was finally given a medium with which to express and capture moments, ideas, color, light. I have yet to make the big step of letting it be my life, because I feel the results have been average, ordinary, good...but not great. It's hard to pursue something when you know you won't fail, but you won't soar either.

I want to go to photography school or film school, I want to let the creativity pour through me. I want freedom to express and produce.....but am scared of the mediocre results.

Failure I can deal with.
Success would be amazing.
Mediocrity, I don't want....

6 comments:

James Goudie said...

I see someone is practicing a little bit of spanish!

cari said...

si!!

Sue said...

Wow Cari, love your honesty. If it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all, wouldn't it also be better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all? What if a baby never got up again after they first fell? I know it is easy to say and another thing to do but, wow, you go for it girl!

Nikki said...

I like how you express yourself.

p.s. hot pic! :)

lori said...

cari, i think you are misjudging your ability. i'm not an expert but i really think you've got something.

it isn't really about the being 'the best' but following the path God sets in front of you.

i know exactly what you mean tho'.

shari said...

Take a risk, Cari. Go for it and use all the gifts you have been given with passion!
I get what you are saying, but until you try, you won't truly know your full potential.