Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The letter I sent to Shaw today...

The difference between Telus and Shaw....

A few months ago I was experiencing some trouble with both my phone and my internet. I called Shaw to get some help with my internet but had to use my cell phone b/c my home phone wasn't working (that's alot of details, but trust me they are relevant to the story).
Because I live out in the sticks my cell doesn't get very good reception in my house. I managed to find one spot in my living room (carefully balanced on a chair, but nowhere near my computer) to call Shaw for help.

The guy who helped me was extremely patient as I couldn't walk to the computer without losing reception. He carefully told me what to look for and I'd put the phone on the coffee table and run to the computer. Back and forth we went - and not being the most brilliant of computer operaters, I went back and forth alot. Each time he waited on my coffee table until I came running back to report what lights were flashing and what cables I had unplugged.

I felt so bad for using up his time, but he said he didn't mind. A few times my phone cut out and he promptly phoned me right back. He never once abandoned me (although he did mock me a little :) As it turned out the problem was on my end, not yours...but he still helped me solve it. I believe his name was Graham - I asked for it so I could write a letter of thanks. However I didn't get to writing the letter and now I'm wondering if his name really was Graham (my apologies to the guy that helped me if Graham is now getting the credit for it...)

So today, months later I am reminded about the great service I recieved after calling Telus and spending 35 out of my 40min call on hold. An error on their part resulted in me being overcharged...alot, and they seemed pretty reluctant to deal with it as they passed me off from one representive to another. But this really isn't a letter about Telus, it's a letter about Shaw - and the stark contrast between how I was treated today by Telus and how months ago a guy named Graham (or something really close to that) treated me like a customer, with respect and a smile (I could tell he was smiling on the other end).

So Thank You Shaw and Thank You Graham (if that is in fact your name... )
Keep up the good work!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! I admire that you actually wrote this...I always THINK about writing nice letters...that's about as far as it ever gets though.
RR

Kristi said...

Rogers does home phone service!!!

Come see me and we'll find out if its available in your area!!!

cari said...

oh I should! But I don't know what mall you work in....

shari said...

willowbrook mall. =)

that's very cool that you wrote a letter. So often the people who really do give great customer service go unrecognized. When I was in customer service, i received a compliment from a customer in the form of an email to my boss. I tell you, it was a wonderful feeling to know that your customers actually think you are doing a good job and its not all just in your head.
WTG graham!

Danea Burleson said...

This is great. I too often think about sending a thank you letter but never do. You have inspired me oh great one. ;)