Wednesday, June 06, 2007

the long and the short of it........

This is my long story of how I found my new home
(although Jen B's version is longer, with more hand gestures and a german accent).
As I began to tell this story today at work my coworkers made me wait until they got their coffees ready, and then they all pulled up a chair (apparently they are all used to my story telling, so they settled right in for the long haul)
Many (or maybe just some) of you heard my previous long story about the girl I went to camp with when I was 15 and how we had a cabin reunion and stayed at her place in Vancouver, then a few weeks ago I had a dream I was living in her basement. Soon after, I reconnected with Jen who said she knew of a suite available, and it turned out to be the parents of this girl I went to camp with. It sounded like it was meant to be....

it wasn't.

I took tuesday off to meet up with Jen in Vancouver. We walked to her cousin's house to pick up the classifieds, on the way she pointed out where everyone she knew lived. (I swear Jen knows or is related to everyone!) Then we hit craigslist and made our own list of places to call. I hate calling strangers so Jen took over and arranged for us to view a place later that evening.

We then headed to Langara for a tour and lunch, we followed up on a few places and arranged to meet a fellow at his suite right away. It was.....less than desirable, so we drove by the place we were to view that night. It was okay, but on a rather busy street, but I agreed to view later anyway. (at this point I was somewhat discouraged that I wasn't going to be able to do any better, I had really pictured myself on a tree lined street with a sidewalk and cute houses, but that idea was quickly fading)

We decided to head back to Jen's to email a few places, when Jen spotted the German Ladies. One was Jen's neighbour, the other was...????.....well, I don't know, but we pulled over anyway with Jen declaring "let's ask the German Ladies! They'll know, they know everything!" We rolled down the window and asked if they knew of any suites available. One piped up "I do!" and began to tell us how Edwin and Annie had a suite but she wasn't sure if it was still available. Jen whipped out her cell phone and handed it over. The arrangements were made and we headed right over to meet Edwin. The house was on a tree lined street and was practically brand new! Edwin met us and gave us a tour, he talked about how he was getting the carpets cleaned (even though they looked like they were just put in yesterday) and I could move in whenever it was convienent..... I asked what the rent was, he told me and then said he would take off $50 b/c one of us was just half a person.
Now most places make you fill out an application and then make you wait while they screen through the applicants. So I asked if there was a form to fill out. He said "you can do that when you move in, you call when you are ready to come, and we will have the keys for you!" He even offered to help move - until I mentioned where I was moving from, then he just offered to help me unload!

And so it was mine!

And, it turns out Edwin is never home that time of day, he just happened to call in sick that day!

How's that for a story?

10 comments:

Susan Kirchmayer said...

its a God thing!! my study group prayed last week for you to find the perfect place. Last nite we prayed you find a renter for your trailer. just wait....

Miss-buggy said...

WOW! You got what you envisioned. That is really cool. I love the $50 dollars off cause one of you is a half person. That is funny. I wish you so much success.
Definately a God thing! YAY!!

Anonymous said...

it really was great home hunting with you, and showing you around the neighbourhood. i can't wait until you're my neighbour! (and if you think i know/am related to a lot of people in vancouver, you should travel with me to paraguay!)

Jennie said...

Very cool Carolyn...just another reminder of how much God really does love us and wants His best for us, eh!!

Peter said...

I like that story

Michelle said...

Yeah!!!

I love hearing how God works!

Danea Burleson said...

Very cool and congrats!! Sounds like you really did find the perfect suit. I am so excited for you and all the life changes you are making right now. Good for you girl!

Oh, and hey can you email me your phone# as I don't seem to have a recent one? It's been waaaaaay too long since we've talked. And I am thinking that Jeff and I talking ABOUT you doesn't count. Actually we talk about you and Andrew and how we can only hope our boy turns out as great! Hehehe.

James Goudie said...

cool

Kristi said...

that is a meant to be kinda thing.

I Love That Story!!!!

you have created great Karma for yourself and it shows. Way To go!!!


BTW-the pics of the place you are leaving, are beautiful

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

VERY cool carolyn! i am so excited for you!!!

-de