Sunday, March 05, 2006

Just under the surface....

This is more than I would usually blog about, but Michelle expressed today her personal struggles and questioned why everyone else seems to be holding it together when faced with adversity. I have never felt the need to blog any of this, and can only say that I do now b/c I'm fairly sure she is not the only one who has questioned her faith, or felt inadequate as a wife, mother or christian. Perhaps a little honesty about what goes on under the surface, would remind us that it is only by the grace of God......

1 week before my wedding 8yrs ago I found myself incredibly ill, unable to eat, having panic attacks, stomach pains, etc. The doctors could not figure out what was going on and thought perhaps I had an ulcer. The day before the wedding we called it off and then put it back on again, we did however cancel our Honeymoon in the Carribean. I remember waking up the morning off my wedding absolutely miserable, I cried b/c it was supposed to be the happiest day of my life and I was so ill. I made it to the wedding, and we planned a less exciting, but still nice honeymoon to Whistler. It wasn't the honeymoon I had imagined, I was a mess, I had panic attacks and could hardly bring myself to smile at my new husband. I was devastated, so was he. I would often excuse myself to the bathroom and just pray that I could just go out and smile and enjoy my honeymoon and be a good wife. I prayed, I cried, I screamed, but I could not climb out of the pit. Things were not going the way I had desperately wanted. My family doctor diagnosed me with depression, and I declined to take medication. My husband kept suggesting I see someone, I refused. How devastating it was for him to have his new bride crumble this way.

It's fair to say that was the beginning of the end. Although by the time I had Andrew the depression was gone, the effects of that first year would never go away. We started growing apart the moment we said "I do".
It wasn't all bad, we had happy times and we were good friends, but it certainly wasn't what it should have been.

I started praying for our marriage about a year before it ended. Begging and pleading God to bring us to another level, to restore our marriage.
Trouble hit, and though it wasn't a huge shock, I figured we'd work through it. I was convinced that it was the answer to my prayer. Hard times that would serve in the end to bring us closer and restore our marriage to what it should be.

I was wrong. I was stunned.

We worked at it for 5 months. I cannot say that I did everything perfectly that summer, but my intentions were good. I tried and failed, and tried and failed more times than I can count. The thing is, life doesn't give you a handbook on how to deal with these situations, you pretty much have to guess, unfortunetly I may have guessed wrong.

My husband left last Sept, I watched as he packed his bag and walked out the door, I didn't try to stop him. A few months later he took off to Mexico with his new girlfriend. I was devastated. I didn't let him see it.

I felt so inadequate as a wife and a partner, I didn't snowboard or bungy jump or go to parties...she did. She was fun and exciting and all the things I'm not. That hurts pretty bad.

I felt so inadequate as a christian, I had prayed and prayed, but God did not hear my cry. I began to think that maybe I just didn't have enough faith.

It's been a hard year. So much has changed. I have had to make so many decisions on my own, admittedly some of them have been wrong.

I have cried myself to sleep on countless occasions, I have screamed and thrown things, I have crumpled into a ball on the floor, I have questioned who I am, and every choice I have ever made. I have yelled at God, and questioned why he is allowing my child to be raised in a broken family. I have wondered what I have done to deserve this, and how much more I can really handle.

The truth comes down to this, we are all just one desicion away from becoming an addict.
Seriously.

Am I holding it together any better than someone else? Probably not. Have I thought about drowning the pain? Yes, I certainly have. What keeps me from a breakdown? Not really sure. Would it be so bad if I had a breakdown? No, it really wouldn't.

Am I any less of a person because I once struggled with depression? because I made wrong choices on how to handle it? because sometimes I question God? Am I any less valuable because I have screwed up more times than I can count? because my husband left? because somedays it's a struggle to get out off bed? because sometimes I question what the point of it is?


I have a hard time with people who are obviously struggling and spew out some godly words that sound good and sound faithful and courageous, because they believe that as a christian it would be wrong to admit that we doubt, that we question, that we blame....

Does God really want us to be that fake? Is that really depending on him when we lie to ourselves and to Him about how we are feeling?

Let's just be honest and admit we don't like ourselves sometimes, that we blame ourselves, that we wonder what our purpose is.

We've all been there Michelle, in fact, I think alot of us are there right now.

9 comments:

James Goudie said...

I blame myself for a lot of things that go on in my life. I question God and on many occasions ask why it has to happen to me.

you guys are not alone.

There is a country song I used to listen to when I was sad. It talked about rolling with the punches.

Michelle said...

Cari, you have no idea how much this ment to me....Thanks.

Miss-buggy said...

Cari, wow...
thanks for being honest and sharing. I think too that a lot of us are there right now. So many people struggling. I am just thankful that He is so merciful. Even when we question. I think so many of us are questioning...

Susan Kirchmayer said...

i'm very proud of you carolyn. i think you know that i have walked that path too and continue to walk it. it took too many years to learn to be honest and vulnerable. i'm glad you are learning now. many times the only thing that kept me going was my three daughters and in later years, my grandchildren. God seemed very far away. i know now that He was always there - i just didn't always feel him near.

Scott said...

strikes too close to home. i wish i could say i did better when my life fell apart, problem is that too many people know otherwise.

it always blows me away when people are spouting off religious jargon a month or two after their life falls apart. sometimes i wonder if they are incredibly spiritual. sometimes i wonder if it's all bullshit.

that's a tough post to write carolyn.

Anonymous said...

thank you to both Michelle and Carolyn for their honesty. You both struck a chord with me.One of the hardest things is being a Christian in a secular world..harder still is being a Christian amongst other Christians.You feel you have to hide your feelings while inside you're falling to pieces. I've often questioned God and how he's allowing situations to happen to myself, friends, or especially family. I get angry at both myself and Him. Now I have to answer my daughter's questions about why God does things..we learn he knows us before we're born and loves us completely..so why does he allow us to hurt so much?
Linda

shari said...

It is always so hard to peal away the protective layers and expose the rawness underneath. thank you for sharing Carloyn.

There is not one amonst us who has not had hurts, habit or hangups that we have tried to hide. It's sad that we feel we must hide these things, because more than anything, it's honesty in these areas that bind us together.

Danea Burleson said...

I feel very touched by your post and feel the need to comment. You know that I am not what one would call a typical Christian even though that is how I was raised. I don't go to church and I don't pray everyday. I consider myself more spiritual, something many Christians don't believe is the correct way. I believe in God and Jesus. I believe I live my life in a manner that will not lead me down the road to damnation. With that being said and my relationship with God, I am what I am today.

When I was 7 I questioned my mom about why I was different. Why couldn't I play like the other kids, why was my life so much harder. Her response was simple and something I remind myself when I get to feeling low. She told me that God new I was special and so he gave me Arthritis as a test. He knows I can pass this test and that I will be a stronger person for it. Of course at 7 I didn't want any stinkin' test, but I have never forgotten that conversation.

I think everyone has many times in their lives when they are tested. For me there is the obvious daily life with this disease. But there have been other harder times, my parents divorce, date rape, depression, crippling bed ridden pain, etc... but each time I pull through. Each time I have considered the "why me's" of the situation and what can I learn from this, how can I grow and make myself a better person. I also have relied on friends and family, I confide in them, I share my past with anyone who wants to know, in hopes that it may help them with what they are going through.I also don't believe there is any shame at feeling doubt.Everyone does t some point. The trick is knowing that there is something better. Life is what you make it. Sometimes you can pray 'till your blue in the face. Open your heart, read the signs. The answers are often right in front of you.

"Some of God's greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers." Garth Brookes

Yes, God works in mysterious ways.

Oh and Cari I need your # ASAP! ;)

Jessi said...

beautiful, beautiful post.
i have linked through your blog through kelly's and i always enjoy what you have to say (i also have a son around your son's age)....this post was courageous and strong - and what so many people need to hear.