Sunday, March 26, 2006

The clinic wasn't yet open and I was standing in the lunch room pouring myself a cup of morning goodness, I had a few moments before the doors would open and I was pondering life. I was questioning why so many of us stay in jobs we hate, why we arrive every morning dreading the day that would follow, or maybe feeling something a little less dramatic like the boredom of the daily grind. Is it because we have been told that "sometimes in life we have to do things we don't want to do..." and we buy into that?

It was at this moment that I thought how great it would be to grab my bag and say to my co-workers "It's been great working with you all, but I don't want to do this anymore....have a good day" and stroll right back out the door.

Okay, so that wasn't realistic. Life's not like a movie, where I would walk out the door and the sun would be shinning and the inspirational music would play and the world would be mine to explore! No, I would walkout, default on my mortgage, loose my car..........

But back to the original thought. Have we been beaten down so much that we accept that perhaps it's not possible to have a life that is fullfilling in all aspects. That we should accept that this is all there is? Or is it just a matter of attitude?

I must admit, when I started this post last week I really did not like my job. I think I was stressed b/c the last person with any experience left on Friday, which leaves me (4 months experience) and the new girls to figure it all out.

I am happy to report that the clinic did not spontaneously combust this week and it is actually going quite well. I don't hate my job and it's not really that bad.

But...every once and a while that nagging thought creeps in.....there must be more............

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm with you. Some days I really wonder if this is really what it's all about.

shari said...

of course there is more... you are a smart, talented and gifted woman. God has a plan for you that is so much more. You will find it. It will come.