Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Satisfaction

I was letting Andrew look at an old Calvin and Hobbs book a highschool boyfriend bought me years ago (I won't say how many 'cuz that will date me), when he called me into his room and handed me some papers he found in the book. I glanced at them and tossed them on the desk. I was acutely aware that they were poems, but I was uninterested in reading them at that moment, so I put them aside and continued my emailing. After working on an email that required me to really put myself out there, I looked at the papers and thought, "maybe God wants me to read those right now." So I did.

Everyone longs to give themselves completely to someone.
To have a deep full relationship with another....
But God to the believer says,
"No, not until you are satisfied and content with being loved by me alone...
with giving yourself totally and unreservedly to Me.
I love you my child, and until you discover that only in
Me is your satisfaction to be found, you will not be capable
of the perfect human realtionship I have planned for you.
You will never be united with Me
exclusive of any other desire or longing.

I want you to stop planning, stop wishing and allow Me
to bring that person to you.
Keep listening and learning that things I tell you...
You just wait, that's all.
And when you are ready, I will surprise you with a love
more wonderful that you can ever dream of.
You see until you are ready, I am working this very minute
to have you both ready at the same time...
Until you are both satisfied exclusively with Me,
and the life I have prepared for you,
you won't be able to experience that love that exemplifies your
relationshhip to Me - and this is the perfect love.

And dear one, I want you to see in the flesh a picture of your
relationship to me and enjoy maturely and concretely
the everlasting union of beauty and perfection
and the love that I offer you with Myself.
Please know that I love you utterly.
BELIEVE AND BE SATISFIED.

Yep, I think God wanted me to read that.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

i love that poem, carolyn. God speaks to us right when we need to hear it, His timming is perfect. be encouraged!!

C :) said...

I love that poem... a friend gave me a copy years ago...it is so encouraging... God has to be our greatest love... tape it to your fridge... :):)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never heard that poem before, thanks for sharing it with us. It really hit home, I think I needed to hear it too.
Jilly ( sorry your site doesn't let me sign in - unless anonymously)

Mandy said...

Very powerful. Wow. A very good wake-up call. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it! Thanks for sharing this Carolyn. You are in my prayers. And congrats on the fast sell of the house! :)

shari said...

Great poem. Isnt it wonderful how God speaks to us in so many creative ways? He keeps whispering to our souls in new ways so that we might hear.

Angela said...

Thank you!! I really think he wanted me to read that too.

Erin said...

ah.... could it be true??

Forgiven said...

that is beautiful. i have not seen it before - thanks for posting it. i love it.