Sunday, February 20, 2005

Me, my garage and I

have you ever seen the show "me, my house and I?" It's a decorating show about a standup comedian who takes on home improvement projects on her own, usually discovering she's bitten of more than she can chew ..... it's kind of how I picture Lori when she tears out walls in her house - safety googles, big hammer, a couple of smart reamarks.....

I have a confession to make. My little cabin is not so much of a cabin as it is ....well...it's really a garage. Yes I said garage. I realized people were getting the wrong idea when I mentioned I was moving into a cabin, everyone was saying "oh, how nice, it must be cozy", "is it a log cabin?". I think people had visions of me sitting on covered porch with a glass of wine gazing out over a peaceful lake watching the sun go down.

Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, it's cute, it's cozy, but it is a garage. So this will be my saga...filled with stories of making the garage a home. Stay tuned for scenes fromm the next episode....

6 comments:

shari said...

If anyone can turn a garage into a oh-so-cute home, it is one of the Zerkee sisters. I just emailed Liz this weekend that the three of you should start a decorating business. You all could kick some serious butt in the industry! Anyways, enjoy your new adventure! I'm sure you and Andrew will make a lovely home!

Sue said...

Between school years at university, when it was still just Jamie and I, we lived in a shack on the outskirts of maple ridge. very rustic, wood stove for heat, no kitchen. It was our home and we were happy there. God took care of us, He will take care of you. The shack is still there, you can see it from the lougheed, I always wonder if someone still lives there.

lori said...

i think a garage would be a great reno to do. i've always wanted to live somewhere besides a house. houses are so ordinary...i'd love to live in a old train station or a post office or a barn...a garage will be cool. do you get a garage door that opens right up? in the summer, you can open your whole house to the outdoors. sounds like a good thing to me!

shari said...

Cathey has some good points there. I shared a house with a friend and her daughter for 3 years. We shared rent, daycare, cooking and household responsabilities. At that time in my life, it was the best possible thing. My kids didnt have to go to a daycare, or a babysitters. We could afford to have cable, by bill sharing. Huge advantages. I also lived for almost a year and a half on my own with the kids. We had a nice apartment, and our privacy and independence back. They did have to be in daycare in order to stay in the school they were in as we moved out of boundries. There are ups and downs both ways. But, I wouldnt hesitate to share a house again, if in that situation. It was good for me, good for the kids and good for our roomies. We became like a family. Anyways, just thought I would share that, after reading what Cathey said. =)

cari said...

Thank you andrew for your kind words! Now... what should my picture look like? :)

Anonymous said...

A garage to live in, sounds like heaven to me. My racecar on one side, couch and bed on the other. hmmm... wonder why I never thot of that before! Remember there was that show where the guy parked his car right in the house?
Of course you'll have it all designer modified, I'd just put up the racetrack banners, car photo's and such.
Sounds like a fun adventure!
Jilly