Monday, February 28, 2005

just me...

The world has an interesting view on my situation.

Slowly people at work are finding out that I'm separated and many ask me outright about it. I try not to dive into too many details and I try not to say anything bad about my husband b/c despite everything I still think he's a good person....but the response I get from almost everyone goes something like this....
"One day he'll come to his senses and come back, but by then it will be too late b/c you will have met someone who thinks your fabulous and it will be his loss"

What I find interesting about these comments is 1) that people assume I am anywhere near ready to be in relationship b) that my self esteem and happiness depends on finding a guy who thinks I'm fabulous c) that I could so casually throw away a relationship as serious as a marriage with a "his loss" attitude.

I have some friends who started taking me out right after John left, they figured the best way to get over him was to meet someone else. I am absolutley baffled as to how jumping into another realtionship 2 weeks after my husband leaves is healthy??

My self esteem does not come from a man, a relationship or even the roles I play in life, my self worth can not be measured by the amount of hugs I recieve, or the number of "I love you's" I get. Nothing makes me feel better than when my son curls up on my lap and tells me he loves me, but do I judge my worth on that? honestly?.....sometimes.
It's dangerous, it's denial, it's alot of things but it's not healthy.

If John doesn't come back....I hope that one day I will find someone to share my life with, but until I'm okay with me, just me ... with life, relationships and roles all striped away, I don't think I want it.

5 comments:

Susan Kirchmayer said...

i've been alone for 5 years now. and although it would be nice to have someone in my life, i am comfortable in my own skin, me and God!!!!

Miss-buggy said...

I am amazed at how strong so many people are. You are one of them. I am glad that you are happy with you.
You have a wonderful son. He makes me smile so I can only imagine how he makes you feel.

shari said...

There are some things that God can only accomplish in us when we are alone. The world like to put band-aids on everything rather than deal with what is really underneath. You are a wise woman to take this time on your own to grow your roots in God as He helps you learn to fly.

MUD said...

I'm just not sure how many of us perfect guys are left.

cari said...

Men are like parking spaces, the good ones are all taken and the rest are handicapped