Thursday, November 11, 2004

2 thoughts for the price of 1

thought #1
scott had a wow blog about death a few days ago. It was ironic how relevant that was on that day. I had had a conversation with a friend who had lost his mother a few years ago and I was telling him how I hadn't yet lost anyone really close to me. I am dreading that day. He questioned how if I was a christian and believed in the afterlife I could be sad about losing someone, shouldn't I be happy that they were in heaven and have peace knowing that I will see them again someday?
I was searching for an answer to that one, the only thing I could think of was that we are not superhumans, we are wired up with all kinds of emotions, joy, fear, pain, sorrow...... it's not wrong to feel those things. As Scott said we are stuck here on earth and we miss them, as much as we know we will see them again we are here in this reality trying to cope. We aren't super humans, I think christians forget that, we don't let ourselves feel things like pain and anger because we think it's wrong.
thought # 2
this friend has never been to church and said that he will probably never step into a church (except for the odd wedding or funeral). He wasn't too keen on the whole everyone-get-together- in-sunday-clothes-and-sing-happy-songs-together-can't-you-feel-the-love idea. This sounded like a challenge to me - apparently he's never been to New Heights!!
Here's the issue this friend is a guy and with everything going on in my life I can only imagine the rumours that would fly if he came to church. So my point is... how sad is it that I feel I can't share this exciting church with someone because my life is fish bowl and I'm more worried about what people would say than this friends chance to hear an amazing message...
Just some thoughts.

7 comments:

MUD said...

What kind of church would it be without gossip:)

Sue said...

invite him to church, God knows your heart, those who know you know your heart. nothing else should matter.

Susan Kirchmayer said...

good points. and while we do have to be careful that we do not give the wrong 'appearance' (and i don't want to get into a deep discussion of this or give examples) - we cannot neglect our responsibility to show someone Jesus. i would invite him to meet you at church, introduce him to the brothers in law and have him sit with the whole family. introduce him to some people of like interests etc. etc.

MUD said...

Don't worry you'll just be the flavor of the week...there'll be someone else to talk about real soon...When you're the topic they'll say "oh that's so last week"

seriously...the best talk my father ever had with me was to say people will always let down...most of the time they don't know it or mean too...keep your eyes on Jesus He'll never let you down.

Oscer Wilde once said "there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about".

Go in pieces

James Goudie said...

The only real close person that I remember who passed away was my grandma on my dads side. her name was Evelyn, but she hated her name. I don't know why, but she did. I always visited her many times a week. I would say that I was going up to her house to play sports with my cousin, but in turn i'd go up there, ya play some street hockey. but also play cards with her. She loved her crib and would always kick my butt. One time I cheated, i stacked the deck so that I got the perfect hand!! She knew, i know she knew, but that didnt' seem to bother her.

The day she passed away, I did go visit her. I went to her house and stayed for a while. Then I felt sick, if i can remember correctly and told her I was going home. Later that day she had a massive heart attack out in her yard when she was tending her flowers. Immediately we were notified and rushed to the hospital. When the doctor came to the room, he asked for the kdis to leave. Umm, I was what 17-18 years old at the time. My parents insisted that we stay. The doctors eyes showed me right away that she had passed away. Others were crying but I wasn't. I felt like I was a rock. why do i have to be a rock! The funeral came and we all attended. My uncle was up talking then brought up how my grandma always made sure to tell everyone she met about her grandchildren. I was still unemotional at the time. Not sheading a tear. I was going to be TOUGH! He then told of the pictures in her purse she always carried around. can you guess what they were? pictures of us! I started to feel somethign coming up my throat, you know when you are trying to hold back from crying. I couldn't hold back and started crying. Even right now i'm tearing up just because of talking about it.

She meant so much to me. As I look back now, I think maybe what I was feeling was the JOY she brought to my life. The fact that she loved each and everyone of us. It wasn't so much losing her physically. Even to this day, I can be working away, then i get a picture of her in my head and smile.

Sure I have memories with other grandparents too, except for my moms mom because she passed away before I was born. But my grandma I think was my closest connection.

NIKE had or maybe still has a slogan that said "Just Do It".

lori said...

just invite him...who cares what people think, anyways. I think there's probably a million ways to be inappropriate (and i look for them!) but what could be inapproriate about inviting someone to church...(if you start holy necking with him or something though, that might cause a rumour!)

cari said...

holy necking? who knew there was such a thing? Hey....aren't you supposed to be participating in some family quality time stuff right now? Get off the internet and make nice!