Monday, November 22, 2004

life is like a box of chocolates

exactly 12hrs left of being 26. Not sure why turning 27 is such a big deal .... maybe I'm just mature for my age, so it's really like I'm turning 30. (how can you argue with logic like that?)

exactly 7 yrs ago today my husband proposed. If we only knew then....
A co-worker of mine who turned 19 three weeks ago got married on Sat. It's hard to feel excited for her. I find it interesting that we all put on happy faces and say "Congratulations", "I'm so happy for you" etc. etc. when all of us married people know the realities of marriage, but no one wants to share them, we wouldn't want to rain on their parade. Let's get real, marriage isn't easy.... anyone who tells you it is, is lying to themselves or to you. That's not say marriage can't be wonderful, but really 60yrs with the same person, at some point one or both of you is going to want to bail. No one tells you you won't always be in love, no one tells you you won't always be best friends. Maybe it's time to start sharing that information...

I hope I don't sound too cynical .... I don't know that I really am. I just know that life can't be neatly wrapped up in a ring box. A chocolate box... maybe.



5 comments:

lori said...

i spend most of my life feeling cynical about most things...i dont think anyone just getting into marriage could possibly understand what lies ahead. its like trying to explain childbirth to the uninitiated - and pardon the pun, but i think its just about as easy to end up with a retarded marriage as it is a retarded child...(probably should have said disabled...)

anyways, no great wisdom here. just know i really feel for you.

Sue said...

I bawled like a baby at a friends wedding once. I knew she was marrying the wrong person for her. That marriage did not last. The second marriage she eloped. I was so disgusted with her because this guy was no better. We didn't speak much after that and she is now divorced from that man. Sometimes talking does not make any difference to a person who is 'hell bent' (in a manner of speaking) on walking down that aisle. I think we should discuss with our friends 'who' we marry not necessarily 'that' we marry.

Sue said...

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

James Goudie said...

my parents have been married 25 years. I notice things like arguing or somethin. but nothign major. If you know my mom, she is always right. if you try to debate her, she will keep arguing on her side. She will never give up. so in the end, we give up and she "wins". I see that with my mom and dad, my dad gives in to avoid a huge conflict. then a little while later they are holding hands again or laughing together.

They were telling susy and I one time that a young guy came up to them when they were walking down the street holding hands. he said something like "I didn't know old people still held hands". They laughed and said that they always held hands.

I'd like to believe it is possible.

Susan Kirchmayer said...

27!!! suck it up princess! love, mom he he